Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) was incorporated as a Public Sector Undertaking for the following objectives :
- To undertake and execute successfully the project development, financing and implementation of projects related to rail infrastructure.
- To mobilize financial and human resources for project implementation.;
- To ensure timely execution of projects with least cost escalation.;
- To maintain a cost effective organizational set up.
- To encourage public private participation in rail related projects managed by RVNL.
- To be an infrastructure Project Execution Company committed to sustainable development and environment friendly construction practices of rail related projects in the country
National Rail Vikas Yojana
Government of India has conceived a massive investment plan for rail sector to eliminate capacity bottlenecks on Golden Quadrilateral and Diagonals to provide strategic rail communication links to ports, construction of mega-bridges for improving communication to the hinterland and development of multi-modal transport corridors. This initiative has been given the name of National Rail Vikas Yojana. Hon'ble Prime Minister announced the Yojana in his speech delivered on the Independence Day in 2002 and formally launched it on 26th December, 2002. National Rail Vikas Yojana comprises the following investment planning components:
- Strengthening of Golden Quadrilateral and Diagonals connecting the 4 metro cities i.e. Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata
- Providing Rail based port-connectivity and development of corridors to hinterland including multi-modal corridors for movement of containers
- Construction of 4 mega bridges at Patna and Munger on river Ganga, at Bogibeel on river Brahmputra and at Nirmali on river Kosi.